Tuesday, October 21

A week goes by...

I've been meaning to take photos of our gradually thinning crops and then realising that it doesn't look particularly interesting! The indoor tomatoes are looking very skinny with their single stems and a few fruit hanging on.
I began taking out the withered remains of the outside crops - the tomatoes were all blighted, the sweetcorn dried up and wind-blown, the karashina forlorn without bees and the salad looking sad in the autumn light.
It's now very cold and even the toughest plants are going to sleep.

Indoors today reached 20 degs, so still some summer feeling, but night time is getting cold and new leaves are becoming more rare.

Tomorrow I will be doing a major clearout, which I'm kindof looking forward to. I haven't decided what to plant indoors after the tomatoes. I will heap the beds up and pull out the bottom half of the compost heaps and mulch the marquee, add stinky and then keep hoeing down for a week or two until it settles. By then I'll have decided which winter crops to put in.

No comments: