Wednesday, October 15

Final salad crop

Today I did a 30 bag crop for Liz & Joel's box scheme. There has been a lot of wind damage on the outside salad, and it's all getting very old anyway. So i cropped very harshly. It was difficult to find enough leaves to make up the amount and some of the leaves were of a condition that I wouldn't normally allow into the bags, but still good enough for me to eat.
I spent over 6 hours doing this crop (with a nasty hangover!) and then took them over to Joel's for delivery.
We have now run out of bags - the last 26 bags out of the 1000 bag batch, which means that we've made and delivered 1000 salad bags since February when we began selling!
I made a final new label 'Rocket Rainbow'.

In many ways I am quite relieved that I've finished doing salad bags because they really are a chore, especially when the weather is bad and when the slugs have been busy.
Now I must concentrate on clearing beds and wrapping everything up for winter.

We owe Joel some money for salad that we've used from his beds, which when including what we owe for water and then converted to time means that I will work 10 hours for Joel mending the windows in the Bothy greenhouse and doing some planting.
The economics of all this doesn't really work out very favorable for me - I've been working for almost nothing in the end. I'll just have to put it down to experience. Which is fine, but it's another reason why I'll be glad when I'm free from having to bust my butt in the wind and rain for a few quid.

Again, it feels very sad to be coming to the end of this experience. Being on my own at the gardens without Junka is hard work. There is still so much to do and it's not so much fun without Junka. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount that needs doing.

But hey! Chin up! A few more days of hard work and things will get much easier and I'll be able to see and think more clearly about what to do in the last remaining months.

No comments: