Sunday, October 26

Last tomato crop

Today I did the last major tomato crop, almost 7 kilos. There are a few healthy ones hanging in there but most are now withering and going funky.
I will be making a special green chutney with the unripe ones, together with green sweet peppers and green chilli - Green Chilli Chutney!
Sungold seem to be the most resilient of the eight varieties that we have, although Moneymaker have done very well too.

I don't think it's blight affecting the Purple Beefsteak - it's simply age. They are definitely more susceptible to adverse conditions but they've also produced very well.
All of the inside tomatoes have done particularly well for us this year. I don't have an exact account of the total weight produced. We've sold about 25 kilos; I've made 6 batches of sauce & chutney with at least 3 kilos in each, so another 20 kilos; given away about 10 kilos and eaten about the same; then the 7 kgs here and another 3 or so left on the vines. So in all somewhere around about 70 kilos have come out of the marquee this year. Bonanza!


I still have a few left for seed-saving this week.

Here are the funky ones:

No comments: