Monday, October 13

Autumn take down

Today I began stripping out tomatoes from the marquee. I picked 7 kilos and took out several bare plants. The Courgettes at the front of the marquee are still doing their best to produce, so I cleaned them up, re-trained them and cleared the invading Nasturtium.
I need to get on with collecting tomato seeds!
The outside tomatoes are now finished. I will begin clearing outside beds soon. Today and tomorrow I will will cropping the last of the outside salad for Joel & Liz's box scheme. The bolted Karasina will be coming out as the bees are now disappearing and no longer frequent the flowers. I want to get the outside covered by plastic so that I can concentrate my efforts on the marquee without worrying about the outside becoming weed-infested.
It's always a little sad to see crops go, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of time I spend at the gardens so that I can concentrate on other work.
I will be planting some winter crops and maybe supply some new salad bags over winter.

I'm looking forward to clearing everything up and making it all more easily managable as it's a lot to deal with on my own.

No comments: